Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Last time I left ya’ll with some unanswered questions:

What does this mean for the future of the nonprofit sector?

What happens when the needs are met for social services, healthcare, and education?

Will I continue to unabashedly use the 80’s to my own device?

Let me try to answer those in the least verbose manner possible.

Opportunity.

Progress.

Is Cabot Cove the murder capitol of the world? You Bet!

Now allow me to expound on this reply in a manner that falls within 500-750 words. Opportunity. Some who’ve been following along may recall an earlier post referencing this concept of opportunity, yet until now I’ve remained somewhat aloof on the matter. The knee-jerk response, may lead many to assume I’m referring to the recent influx of federal support and, in a way, they’d be correct. I’ll explain. We’ve witnessed a massive policy shift with regards to the current administration’s healthcare revamp. While we have yet to fully realize the changes this may have on the nonprofit sector, specifically nonprofit healthcare, it is undoubtedly apparent that some impact will occur. The hope is that the government will alleviate some of the burden currently saddled on charitable healthcare institutions. At face value it may seem as though additional requirements may hinder these healthcare providers, I’d argue that the new regulations will only act to strengthen the core services that relate to the nonprofit’s mission. Similarly, we see the government working with many nonprofit organizations to restructure the failing education of our youth. Whether it is healthcare, education, or social services, our government continues to either adopt certain approaches and policies initially implemented by nonprofit organizations or provide direct support to those organizations.

Opportunity. So, is the opportunity in the support we see from the govt? Meh, you could argue that I’m sure. Where the real opportunity exists lies in the new wave of nonprofits we see emerging as the current lot of nonprofits that have been struggling are fostered in some way by our federal institutions. Which leads me to my next point. Progress. The change is happening now. Now, of course, is a relative term. Now, for the sake of this rant, references the next 10 yearsish. What happens in the next decade will shape the direction of our evolving culture. I’ll contend that nonprofits have been and will remain a reflection of our society. Nonprofits are a reflection in such that the sector reflects our need to tackle the social deficiencies of our nation. For the sake of this blog I’ll say the opportunity is not in the support we receive in the nonprofit sector, but in the support that is not present- the lack of funding. The absence of support is what drives innovation and creativity amongst nonprofits. It forces collaboration and efficiency.

Perhaps I’m too idealistic. I’d like to clarify one thing, though. Not for a moment do I think that, with regards to social services, healthcare, or education, we are there yet. We’ve come a long way and we still have many challenges to overcome. I will say with certain idealism that the direction of the nonprofit sector will see a shift from the reactive, quantitative programs, to services that mend the societal rifts that afflict our communities, proactive organizations whose benefits cannot be gauged by numbers.

BAM! 554.

No comments:

Post a Comment