Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Back in teh days...


I sit at today’s blog fully prepared to muse the intricacies of foundations and their benevolent gifts to our society. And, to be honest now that I’ve mentioned it, I really don’t want to deny you, the intrepid reader, the exercise your noggin undoubtedly needs. But, I feel that inevitable crush that happens near the end of each term. It’s that anxious yet pleasant feeling relating all of our work up to this point. That moment of sublime that flickers, and we, in its fleeting warmth, somehow experience wholeness.

Call it nostalgia. I dunno.

We’ve had a good run in PPPM 280. Nonprofits. I mean, whoa. Right? Well, in a way, yes. It is pretty mind blowing. Most people unfamiliar with the nonprofit sector really have no grasp of its sheer depth. I’ve come to learn that the nonprofit sector is pretty dern pervasive in our culture. I’d venture to say without it, our country would be seriously lacking. Admittedly, up to about three months ago I was one of those people. Now, those who know me must be thinking, “Dir sir, I do believe you are mistaken. Surely, you must remember some PPPM 480 (nonprofit management)?”

Hmmm. Well, yes, and no. Yes I do remember 480. And, yes, there was some crossover. But, really from when we started this class, I feel like I have a much better understanding of the big picture of things. Actually, in most respects I found having taken the courses out of succession contributed to that understanding. Having the intro class allowed me to step back and utilize some of my current knowledge to clarify how nonprofits are at work within our lives.

Memories. The relics of 280 I will not shortly forget in no particular order.

#1. Bob and his diligent use of PowerPoint. In all honesty, it was some of the most engaging use of slides I’ve experienced. He is truly the sharpest tack to wield a clicker.

#2 Sarah and her invaluable words of wisdom and, at times, diverging perspective. Also, kudos to Sarah for her relentless efforts in bringin’ back the use of the word “homies”.

#3 Greg and his bike- responsible for making tardiness stylish again.

#4 Ted and his elucidation of a colonial Oregon. And, his bike too.

#5 Julia. For clarifying discussions through her limitless library of anecdotal wisdom.

#6 Each and everyone who gave so much of themselves to this class to further our discussions, and inspire thought.

I’d like to talk a bit about class. I’ll forgo the obvious pun, and confirm that yes indeed, I am talking about PPPM 280. Those following closely from the internets may wish to go back to watching reruns of Simon & Simon on hulu, but for those interested in my thoughts about the class structure itself, please follow along. For one, I’d like to give mad props to the blog. This blog proved to be a great tool to unload what we as students, because of the class, were caused to think. Two things come to mind about the blog. First, the blog just works. It allows a more casual atmosphere and gives people a chance to grow out of their usual inhibitions. Secondly, I do think that other students checking in on our work helps keep things from getting too crazy- shirtless Sellecks aside. Another aspect that proved very insightful was the guest speakers. I feel we were really treated to some great presentations. Having that human element applied to an otherwise, bureaucratic, and at times dull field, helped inspire us. But, lastly this course wouldn’t be able to cover such breadth as it did without the guidance of both Bob and Sarah.

Thanks You!

No comments:

Post a Comment